We would like to thank our reader BG for suggesting we post a healthy Thanksgiving dessert recipe! Like many of you who have had the gastric bypass (RYGB), BG is always on the look out for a new low sugar dessert that will impress her guests.
So here it is! Our recipe for Clafoutis. For those of you who are not familiar with the dessert ‘clafoutis’, we would describe it as a delicate French flan-style fruit pie. While it traditionally uses cherries or plums, you can use any seasonal fruit.
Happy Thanksgiving to all of our Canadian clients and readers! Thank you (as always) for your support 🙂
– Lisa & Monica
Serving size: 1/8th of the pie
1 1/4 cup milk, 1% or 2%
2/3 cup granulated sugar (1/3 cup added in step 2, and 1/3 cup in step 6)
1 tbsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Choose a fruit: 5 plums (sliced), 1/2 cup raspberries, 1/2 cup blueberries,1/2 cup blackberries, 1/2 cup strawberries, or 2 peaches (sliced)
Sprinkle of icing sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Add 1 ¼ cup milk, ⅓ cup granulated sugar, 3 eggs, 1 tbsp vanilla, ⅛ tsp salt and ½ cup all-purpose flour into a blender and mix on high for 1 minute.
3. Grease a 9-by 9-inch baking dish and pour in a ¼ -inch layer of batter (i.e. less than half of the batter).
4. Bake for about five minutes or until the top starts to get slightly firm.
5. Remove the baking dish from the oven and place fruit pieces evenly spaced onto the batter. Pour the rest of the batter on top to cover the fruit (some fruit might poke out, this is fine).
6. Before placing the baking dish back in the oven, sprinkle the pie with granulated sugar. If the fruit you added is sweet, add 3 tablespoons of sugar; if the fruit you added is tart or sour, add the full ⅓ cup.
7. Place the baking dish back into the oven and bake for 45 minutes (check at 30 minutes), or until the clafoutis is puffed and lightly browning. You know it is ready if a knife comes out clean from the center.
8. Allow it to cool slightly (it will collapse as it cools) before dusting with icing sugar (optional).