What happens after I book my first appointment online?
Within 48 hrs of booking, we will contact you via email or phone to explain the next steps (summarized below).
- We will send you a link to make an account in a platform called Practice Better.
- Once you have created a profile and logged in, you will see a questionnaire to complete and a waiver to sign.
- We will also request that you complete a 3 day food journal for our appointment. You can either email it to us, send us screen shots from your food tracking app, or complete it in Practice Better by using the Food Journal application.
- After your appointment, we will email you a summary of what we discussed and an insurance receipt within 48-72 hours*. The summary will include all items discussed during the appointment (Ex. progress markers, goals, tips, new foods to try, recipes, etc.).
--*Note that we will email the summary and insurance receipt ONLY after you have paid for your appointment in full. Typically within 48-72 hours of payment.
How long are the appointments?
- Your initial assessment will be 45 minutes. We will send you a new client questionnaire to fill out before this appointment to help us get to know you better. This will also help us develop an individualized nutrition plan for you.
- Each follow-up will be 30-45 minutes. Why do we give a range? We like to be flexible. We find there is often more to talk about in the first couple of sessions, but after 2-3 appts, our clients typically only need 30 minutes with us. We also want to account for the fact that some of you are straight to the point, while others of you are a bit chattier
At each follow-up appointment, we will ask you to complete a 3-day food journal. This will help give us an idea of your current eating habits and will enable us to tackle the important stuff right away.
What are my responsibilities as a client, to get the most out of my appointments?
In order to benefit from your appointments, we strongly recommend that you fill out your new client questionnaire and your 3-day food journal before your appointment. For the 3-day food journals, try to be as honest as possible so that we can better help you. Record every bite and every sip. We promise that nothing you write down will shock us... we have heard it all! We are just looking for an overview of your current eating habits. Additionally, we may ask you to participate in some reflective activities. Again, take your time to complete these activities. Just like anything in life, the more you put in, the more you will benefit.
What if I want to cancel my service(s)? Do you have a refund policy? Do your services expire?
Refund & Expiration of service policy:
--> All unused services/packages are 100% refundable within the stated expiry time. No questions asked. À la carte services expire after 3 months from the date of purchase. All packages expire after 6 months from the date of when the first appointment was delivered (i.e. New patient evaluation appointment). If no first appointment was ever delivered, the whole package expires after 3 months from the date of purchase.
--> Used services are non-refundable.
--> For partially used packages, you will be refunded the à la carte prices for the service(s) that remain unused. Used services are non-refundable.
What if I need to reschedule my appointment last minute? What is your cancellation policy?
Our cancellation policy: We do not have a cancellation policy because we trust you. We expect you to notify us with as much notice as possible if you need to cancel your appointment. In return, we will give you the same courtesy.
Can I purchase a package if I’m from Quebec?
The regulations laid out by the Professional Order of Dietitians of Quebec (OPDQ) prevent Quebec dietitians from enforcing or encouraging nutrition services in package format. For this reason, if you are a Quebec resident we recommend that you purchase an “à la carte” service instead. If you are a Quebec resident and choose to purchase a package anyway, we would like to remind you of two things: 1) You are agreeing to pay for the full package of services upfront (i.e. before the services are delivered); 2) You may need more or less than the standard number of follow up appointments in the purchased package to achieve your goals (i.e. the packages are not tailored to your unique needs). If you have further questions, feel free to email us!
Is online counseling just as effective as in-person counseling?
Yes! Research shows that online counseling is just as effective as in-person counseling.
What are your Terms & Conditions?
- You must be 18 or older to purchase services from Bariatric Surgery Nutrition.
- In purchasing services, you agree to receive nutrition consultations online and/or via phone and to receive communication via email.
- Our services comply with the Canadian standards of Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and of the Private Sector Privacy Act. Our services however may not comply with the American standards detailed by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) for reasons including, but not limited to, Skype, Zoom, and Facetime are not considered secure-enough networks.
- All personal information will be kept strictly confidential between you and Bariatric Surgery Nutrition. We will not sell your personal information or contact information (Ex. Email, phone number, etc.) to third parties.
- Services/packages are processed via a trusted third party - Paypal. Bariatric Surgery Nutrition will therefore not have access to your payment information.
- The health professionals of Bariatric Surgery Nutrition are licensed and insured registered dietitians as per the standards set out by the Ordre Professionnel des Diététistes du Québec (OPDQ). The information provided during your consultation(s) is/are not an alternative to medical advice from your surgeon or doctor. If you have questions/concerns regarding your medical condition(s), your bariatric surgery, your medications, and/or your vitamins/minerals, consult your bariatric surgeon or doctor.
- Insurance receipts are not given upon purchase of services. Insurance receipts are given only after the service(s) has/have been delivered. In the case of packages, receipts are given after each individual appointment is delivered.
- In purchasing an à la carte service or package, you agree to pay the full amount prior to receiving the services.
- Cancellation policy: We do not have a cancellation policy because we trust you. We expect you to notify us with as much notice as possible if you need to cancel your appointment. In return, we will give you the same courtesy.
- Refund policies:
- All unused services/packages are 100% refundable within the stated expiry time. No questions asked. À la carte services expire after 3 months from the date of purchase. All packages expire after 6 months from the date of when the first appointment was delivered (i.e. New patient evaluation appointment). If no first appointment was ever delivered, the whole package expires after 3 months from the date of purchase.
- Used services are non-refundable.
- For partially used packages, you will be refunded the à la carte prices for the service(s) that remain unused. Used services are non-refundable.
By purchasing services from Bariatric Surgery Nutrition, you declare that you understand and accept these terms and conditions.